Passport eligibility questions and answers on the ESTA application

Published: Mar 23, 2020, Updated: Oct 23, 2022 | Tags: ESTA Eligibility, ESTA Passport, ESTA Requirements


If you are a citizen of a country that is part of the Visa Waiver Program, you are eligible to apply for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization or ESTA online. Whether you are visiting in transit or for business or leisure, a vacation, completing the ESTA application online avoids the need to apply for a visa as long as your visit is for less than 90 days. The ESTA form should take no longer than 20 minutes to complete but it is essential to make sure that all your details are entered correctly or your applications may be delayed or denied as a result of any errors or inaccuracies. One of the most common reasons for a delay or denial is not selecting the correct country for the relevant questions.

Passport eligibility questions and answers on the ESTA application
Passport eligibility questions and answers on the ESTA application

What’s the difference between “Country of Citizenship” and “Passport Issuing Country”?

On the ESTA form, applicants will need to enter the country that issued their passport. The “Passport Issuing Country” will always be the same as the value for “Country of Citizenship”. For example, if you are a UK citizen but were issued a passport from the UK Consulate in Singapore, you should enter the UK as the “Passport Issuing Country” and “Country of Citizenship”. The UK Consulate is in Singapore, but it is the UK that is issuing the passport, not Singapore.

The drop-down menus for both “County of Citizenship” and “Passport Issuing Country” contain the list of the 40 countries that are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If your country is not part of the VWP you will be unable to apply for an ESTA and will need a U.S. visa to visit the United States.

What if I have dual citizenship from multiple Visa Waiver countries?

People with dual citizenship who have applied for ESTA must use a passport from a VWP participating country both when departing their country and also when arriving in the United States. People with dual citizenship to multiple VWP eligible countries should select one of their eligible passports and use this each time they enter and depart the United States. This will ensure they do not cause confusion at the border by having multiple travel authorizations associated to more than one passport.

What if I have dual citizenship including one for the United States?

Only citizens of VWP countries are eligible to apply for ESTA so if you are a naturalised citizen of the U.S. and are also a citizen of a VWP country, you will be required to use your U.S. passport when you travel to the United States. While some travelers may use a passport issued by their other country for traveling, the United States expects that their citizens should use their U.S. issued passport when traveling from another country to the United States both when they depart a foreign country and when they arrive in the United States. Travelers are advised to learn more about applying for an ESTA with multiple citizenships.

What if I have an emergency U.S. passport?

In the case of a genuine emergency and if you have been unable to apply for a U.S. passport before traveling, and you only have a passport issued by a VWP country, you should apply for ESTA to travel to the United States on that passport. Upon your arrival in the U.S., you should use the immigration queue for non-U.S. citizens as you will be traveling on a non-U.S. citizen passport.


To avoid possible delays or denials when applying for an ESTA, it's essential to make sure all application details are accurate. When you are filling in the online ESTA form, the browser session will only stay active for a roughly 20 minutes so it is recommended that you have your passport and any other required travel information available to answer all the ESTA questions. Otherwise, ensure you regularly save your application progress. This is particularly important if you are applying on behalf of another family member or friend and may not have access to all the required information to complete the application.

If you hold a passport from a visa waiver eligible country and wish to obtain an ESTA for tourist, business, medical or transit purposes, get started on your application, otherwise, visit the FAQ to learn more about the ESTA

Apply for ESTA



Apply for ESTA

ESTA is a mandatory travel authorization for eligible travelers entering the United States by land, air, or sea for visits less than 90 days.

Apply for ESTA